Thursday, December 3, 2015

Week 16: FINAL PROJECT Dec 4-9

Finals: Dec 4-9: Post online semester project/Read and comment on classmates projects

I will be adding some more end notes and commentary here, but it is here where I would like for each of you to post your blogger or website address for your final project. It will be here, for example, under each of your posts for your addresses, where we will leave feedback and comments about your project. If you already posted your project on this blog, that's fine, but still post and let us know it's on here, so we can comment under this week on your post. I want to keep all of the comments about projects together under this week.

I will be adding more comments about posts and other things later today.

133 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I am not through with all of these but I posted them any way. Please give all the feedback or ideas that you have.

      Delete
    2. I love your projects - all of them! I love how you brought in your humor and made it a personal story. It parallels the healing of your soul with yours sister while your leg heals. I love the bubble ones the most!

      Delete
    3. What a great idea to make a recipe, so creative. Your super saver tip benefits any recipe. We talked this summer about how you do your art, but I need another lesson. I can find so much symbolism in the “Teachers in Common” piece. The bubbles close knit and intertwined, making their own circle of strength with their backs to each other, ready to change the world.

      Delete
    4. Love the outline of the recipe card, including the 'prep' time. Very thought out and special. I could see this as being a artistically designed card to give to love ones as a keepsake.
      The radial design in "Healing During Stitching Time 40 X 20" is very nice! You talk about the 'healing' needed for this and I notice the use of crutches? Perhaps elaborate on the story there-
      It gives us the idea that this is a physical injury. Would love to see up close of the design and embroidery on the artwork!

      Delete
    5. Very nicely done!Intimate and meaningful!

      Delete
    6. Wish I could post the clock one, because I have finished it now. And my sister taught me how to do the binding on the bubble one and she gave me the idea for stuffing a few of them bigger. It made her so happy to help and know that her waterfalls was being shown in my final.

      Delete
    7. Wish I could post the clock one, because I have finished it now. And my sister taught me how to do the binding on the bubble one and she gave me the idea for stuffing a few of them bigger. It made her so happy to help and know that her waterfalls was being shown in my final.

      Delete
    8. Healing During Stitching Time resonates with me in my current post op recovery mode.Healing, we do not think of it until we need it from heart/mind/soul to that of the physical.I respect what folks have gone through from what life has thrown at them in terms of all types of injuries.When I hear what my soldier students have gone through at CTC, my procedure is a piece of cake(yet it still hurts!).

      Delete
    9. Add the clock! We can look again.

      Delete
    10. Love your project, Kim! I like that you incorporated your sister and your ankle into your final project. It is very personal and the recipe is very clever. The work is also fantastic, I like that you used different styles.

      Delete
    11. ktimmonsextras.bolgspot.com on this site is the touches that finished two of my art pieces that you asked for.

      Delete
    12. Beautifully done! Love the embroidery work, the recipe and most of all the heart you and your sister poured into it.

      Delete
    13. Kim, I tried to go to your new spot and got a infected warning on my pc computer at work. You might check your computer.

      Delete
    14. Beautifully done! Love the embroidery work, the recipe and most of all the heart you and your sister poured into it.

      Delete
    15. Try again Paige ktimmonsextras.blogspot.com should work now

      Delete
    16. Kim, very beautiful artwork! I love the format, the ingredients of the recipe, the crutches framing your work. I just love how everything is meant to symbolize healing as well as suggesting a form of therapy.

      Delete
    17. Beautiful. I am ready for you to host a workshop!

      Delete
    18. Kim. Gorgeous work. Double healing. Connecting I with eye with life experiences. Embroidery is beautiful. What a great way to begin/continue your art and end a semester. Great work.

      Delete
  2. http://lorwilliams.blogspot.com/

    This is my blog with my final project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lorena I love your idea of your friends getting together and creating for each other.
      I really love the quality of your batik the up close view really shows the work you put into it. How big is it?

      Delete
    2. Lorena I love your idea of your friends getting together and creating for each other.
      I really love the quality of your batik the up close view really shows the work you put into it. How big is it?

      Delete
    3. Oh man I love it. I have sisters and very close girl friends and this just warmed my heart. It's like a modern quilting bee.

      Delete
    4. Lorena - your writing with your work is very touching! Might have to borrow your sisterhood idea and recreate this with my friends. I love that you are incorporating your religion and your heritage in with the batik - very cool.

      Delete
    5. Lorena,
      I hope your sisterhood group continues. Such a great way to show hospitality and share the healing power of art. What a great opportunity for you and your friends to teach others how to paint, crochet, or use clay and everyone can participate. I have a friend who has art night once a month with her college friends. They started the monthly gatherings while they were undergraduate students at Tech, about 8 years ago. Now married and a couple of children later, they continue their sisterhood evenings.
      Your batik is a beautiful tribute to your heritage.

      Delete
    6. Very nice!Your batik is precious and has personal meaning.

      Delete
    7. Love the thought of women sitting around making art while chatting and and spending time together. I would love to do this with my family or close friends. This makes me want a wall of hearts! There are so many and such a variety. Love how someone created the actual anatomic heart while others went for a more symbolic approach.
      Your batik is beautiful. I've never made one before but this makes me want to experiment. Its a good tribute to a religious icon and its evident you cherish it.

      Delete
    8. Lorena,Yes the public knows very little about these issues .My favorite is the Virgen de Gaudelupe.It so interesting as I remember the version painted by Isidro Escamilla in 1824.This version almost looks like embroidery.The cultural bonds are what keep the people of Mexico united in spite of all the atrocities.My wife and I watched Frontera starring Ed Harris and Michael Pena.I enjoyed the bonding and healing on both sides conveyed in that film regarding the border crossing issue.

      Delete
    9. Lorena, I love the faith you have put into the thought of your artwork.
      First, I really like your sisterhood gathering, and I would hope to do that with my friends.
      I also really like the many different hearts your friends created.
      I also love the Birgen de Gaudelupe, and being Mexican American…its a beautiful representation of the culture Mexico has.

      Delete
    10. Lorena, I absolutely love this. As many have said before, its a wonderful way to bring a group together and to do something you love!

      Delete
    11. Lorena--nice collaborative idea. Something that can grow--in lots of directions. Batik is lovely. Sisterhood is one of those threads that can provide sanity, love, empathy, etc.--very powerful stuff.

      Delete
  3. My final project. It is still a work in progress and happy to have feedback.
    http://plasticannoyedyet.blogspot.com/?zx=f93c286bd3e63e3a

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I am working on mine, I had a question. I set it up to be 1st as the oldest, but blogs usually read newest 1st. How are you doing yours and should I change mine?

      Delete
    2. http://plasticannoyedyet.blogspot.com

      Delete
    3. Paige - I'm impressed with the project and involving the students which was the whole point of Eco, To Life! Bringing community together through art to bring awareness to the trash in your town. I love that you incorporated the student who didn't like the project as well, sometimes they grumble but I bet it will make a lasting impression on him.

      Delete
    4. Very nice!Important topic and involving students in an important way.

      Delete
    5. This is impressive. You made one project and pushed into so many more and even were able to share the success in multiple ways around the school. This inspires me to do a similar project! This really is a great way to connect recycle art, technology, and art appreciation and convservation. Great job!

      Delete
    6. Paige I would love to copy your lesson and do it with my high schoolers. I love the fact that you used trash and turned into usable art, then does it turn back into trash? I love the process that you have taught the students! I know that the students loved this! I can hear and see the talking and the writing going on in your classroom!

      Delete
    7. Very interesting awareness project.We see this stuff daily ,it collects and does not break down.I especially like the video of the student getting caught in the plastic curtain.The annoyance factor is driven home.Check out :http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2678406/Where-plastic-trash-ocean-gone-Researchers-fear-fish-eating-floating-garbage-islands.html Very scary!

      Delete
    8. Ok Paige I added the clocks look back up my site I put in a new site to see them. Thank you for sharing I have really enjoyed you writings. I hope to have you class again.

      Delete
    9. David, That article is overwhelmingly scary. Thank you for sharing.
      My students are doing a journal page for their critique. When I get some results on the impact, I will post their thoughts on the blog.

      Delete
    10. Yes, it is an ongoing battle between greed and environmental need!It is the youth who need to move forward on this issue!

      Delete
    11. Paige, I agree, plastic is annoying!
      I love the curtain and the idea that the artists decorating it were expressing such deep thoughts.
      I also love the art reception and the whole theme of using this project, so many of them! I love the digital aspects, the sculpture, research and reflection. Awesome!

      Delete
    12. I Love this! Everything about it! It goes perfectly with what we discussed when reading the to life! book.

      Delete
    13. When the Director from Keep Midland Beautiful came and spoke to the students, she spoke about recycling in our community and gave them all a pencil made from recycled jeans. The students are now working on a journal entry about the total experience.

      Delete
    14. What a great project--fantastic. You make Weintrub proud. Students; wow. Just great.

      Delete
  4. Working on mine myself, it should be up this evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Final project!

      http://cathedralsandrefuse.blogspot.com/2015/12/cathedrals-and-refuse-examination-of.html

      Delete
    2. I like how you brought trash and the stain glass windows together to create awareness of trash in your town. I would never have put the two together to reference beauty can be found anywhere, so glad you did - I will think about trash differently and my thought process is changed because of it! - Great job!

      Delete
    3. Katharine,
      The blowing trash photograph perfectly captures the feel of our windstorms.
      The combination of modern art with the Medieval stained glass is a wonderful concept.
      I would love to your pieces in person. You mentioned layering them. Did you layer them on the computer or manually? My students and I were making collages with trash and we had trouble finding a glue to make some of the plastic stick. What did you use?

      Delete
    4. Nice!Yes I also would enjoy seeing your pieces in person.Well thought out project and blog.

      Delete
    5. These are stunning rose styled stained glass pieces! I wouldn't have known it was made from found materials such as plastic and foil. You did an amazing job at finding interest in what you think is beautiful around you and recreating it to what is always found around us in everyday life.

      Delete
    6. Hi, I wrote on your blog, but I wanted to say again that I am very intrigued by your work. I wish I could see it in person because I'm sure there is more to see in person.
      Your work is very impressive.

      Delete
    7. I love your art pieces, would love to hear about more of the process so I could teach it to my students.
      I am very impressed how you used trash and these are beautiful

      Delete
    8. I also appreciate the abstraction in these works.So many art historians have not commented on this factor.I have been to Chartres and Notre Dame and had seen the rose windows.Rose refuse is my favorite.These images are wonderfully expressed digitally.

      Delete
    9. Katherine, I love the color of your beautiful paintings and using the materials in the way you did. When I see trash, I think ugly, because its meant to be "trash" and not wanted and hideous. I love that you made it stunningly beautiful and not only that, but the representations of the cathedral stained glass.

      Delete
    10. You've captured this idea so perfectly. You bring it to a whole new light in your way of presenting the subject. Love it!

      Delete
    11. Katharine. You have brought together Weintrub, Mary and trash. Exquisitely presented--both art and writing.

      Delete
  5. http://www.thegaildentler.com/2015/11/research-methods-final-project-gail.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail, This is personal and intimate and reveals your feelings at different times.The simplicity of the renderings allow emotion to come through.Nicely done!

      Delete
    2. Gail,
      I would like to take the self portrait challenge and encourage my students to do the same thing. What a great idea for your prompts coming from our readings. So many times my students don’t want to draw themselves because they think it has to be photographic perfect. Giving them prompts to identify truths and learn about emotions is a great tool. I love your “Thinker” piece.

      Delete
    3. Gail I love all of your journal entries, I really see you in them and what you were working through. I really like to see the emotions that you showed. I proud of you Gail!!!!

      Delete
    4. Self portrait challenge sounds like a great idea. I also came out with a lot of self reflecting projects from that back.
      Also on your site are your quilts- they are stunning! Quilting is something i think I would like to do. I love how yours set a scene and go beyond traditional patterns. Made me realize what an art form it is.

      Delete
    5. Your drawings have a very free form quality and innocence which lends much to your topics.Journaling is something I used to do .It has great merit as it helps to visually document one's feelings to relevant topics.The battered and bruised by culture is my favorite by far.The one eye opened,one eye closed speaks volumes.The floral patterning in the background is ironic to the figurative images which are psychologically loaded! well done and thought out!

      Delete
    6. Gail, I love the different styles you illustrated. I to, switch my style sometimes. I like the playfulness and lightheartedness you sometimes express. Very creative in expressing your thoughts for journaling inspired by such a difficult book.

      Delete
    7. It's difficult to pursue something, much less declare that this is my topic. Your self-portrait journaling is a nice place to begin. (Great quilts by the way.) The books are supposed to work on us and they are working on you--that's the best gift of all. Nice work.

      Delete
  6. http://artedjournals.blogspot.com/?zx=e050c73a6d34f61d

    here is mine- plan to add more commentary.
    When are projects needed to be finished? do we comment on here or on other people's posts.

    I believe mine is set to private- I added emails of those I had- let me know if it works, For others you can add email here and I will add you. if it becomes an issue I will make it public

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My email is pdotart@gmail.com. I'll check again Sunday afternoon.

      Delete
    2. gaildentler@gmail.com is mine - it said I wasn't on the list?

      Delete
    3. Sent invites! Please add more emails so I can send invite. Let me know if it works for anyone I sent it to

      Delete
    4. Thanks Sarah - it worked - gosh its good! Having spent time in the military and many friends who have just retired - it brought back many memories! This is such a great gift that you gave them - it honored them, valued their trials and tribulations. It would be awesome if you could do something with this on Veteran's Day. Great Job

      Delete
    5. Oh my gosh, what insightful students! You must have quite a rapport with your students for them to disclose their personal stories with you. I kept thinking about how their stories could help other teens, military or not. The one student comparing moving and starting over to a forest fire is meaningful to anyone who has witnessed the horrible event and the new growth starting from the ground.

      Delete
    6. Sorry Sarah I must have missed your email, but please send it again to ktimmons@nctv.com I am excited to read it after all of the comments

      Delete
    7. Sarah, please send the invite to me at: davideharmon@hotmail.com I want to respond.Thanks so much! David

      Delete
    8. Sent to all of your addresses! please check junk if it was not received.

      Delete
    9. If you are having trouble it may be because you do not have gmail. Not sure what emails you use to access this class blog but send me the same email you use to sign into blogger.

      Delete
    10. The drawing of large trees without leaves was very interesting especially with the uncertain road leading to where?This is a tough time especially for teens.Although not in he military,we have moved 9 times in 34 years of marriage.My two boys were still in HS and had to adapt to the new state and new friends.Luckily, they had had it in Indiana so it was a pleasure.We all go through traumas in life.I truly think it makes us stronger than the small town folk who marry their childhood sweetheart and there they stay!In a global society change is a constant and a given.We communicated this to our children and they adapted!

      Delete
    11. Made public for the time being!

      Delete
    12. Sarah what a great lesson! You are a wonderful teacher. This is the place good art is made! Thank you for teaching this to the students. So many times people think good art is copying. You are teaching meaning to art which turns into good art. I read all of them and they were all so personal. I am jealous because this is so simple to help students understand how to get to the spot inside to know where to start with their personal art adventure. I have the roughest time getting them to that point. Thank you so much for sharing!

      Delete
    13. I also gave you a new site on my final to look at the some of the artwork up close. Thank you again for sharing!

      Delete
    14. Very nice project engaging the students is a plus.

      Delete
    15. Sarah, I love this idea. Its such a stress release and I'm sure it was a great away for your students to open up to you.
      I love journal entries. lately books in journal format. I am lucky I have many journals to reflect on. I recently found one from HS and it was weird looking back at it! Though that was handwritten, I also started using Livejournal as soon as i graduated and that is nice that I have kept that.
      I love all the little creative ways your students chose to share their thoughts. Very interesting!

      Delete
    16. Holy crap. Beyond intense. What an amazing project. We are all people who count. Incredible stories.

      Delete
  7. http://throughtheblacksusi.blogspot.com/
    through the black,this is a trilogy with three blogs so you can see the process of creating the final 2 large wall paintings.Dave is still in the hospital ,on a side note,the surgery went well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your work is so moving - emotionally. You can feel your vulnerability in such a raw and passionate way. I like that in your method you thought you would start working on the red tide - but as these pieces started to speak to you, you quickly switched and went with it - great job.

      Delete
    2. Thank you....it was difficult to put something very personal out there,but I felt that I could do it after reading some of these stories..but it is pretty scary to do this..

      Delete
    3. I can feel the emotional struggles of addiction through your blog. To set up with the sounds of James Brown and Neil Young worked well to pull us into the blog. I am drawn to your sketches, “and I woke up” and “scars” because of the texture and colors depict the struggles.

      Delete
    4. Thanks so much,Paige...I was scared to do this because I thought it could seem you know trite...the way I did this with the videos, but I wanted to give the viewer a feel of what I feel or need to feel in order to create very large abstract emotive works...

      Delete
    5. Raw imagery, especially in the letter to you from you son. Cant imagine what I would think or feel if I would hear that or see it first hand.

      Delete
    6. Very moving, Susan and very brave of you to share such a personal story. I could see the emotion in your pieces, very raw.

      Delete
    7. I know , Sarah,that letter really was personal but I thought I need to be honest felt because of the books we read that I could do this also..and since we both are artists,James and I, we need to do this with our "All"..but He is sober now and safe for about three weeks..thanks

      Delete
    8. Lorena, I really wish the pieces could have stood on their own without the blog,maybe someday I will get there..thanks though....Angelo state University wants to show my large emotive pieces in June so I said yes...a bit afraid like being naked in front of the world....

      Delete
    9. Susan, i had placed my comments on your blog directly.In short, you are able to wrest emotion into paint.This is not easy to do.Colors come from our inherent inner self and our experience as artists in terms of our personal choice of materials and techniques.

      Delete
    10. Susan, very emotional paintings and writing I should add!
      Addiction…its a dark disease, not speaking from experience but only as an observer but seeing the paintings, I can feel that emotion. I love that.

      Delete
    11. Yes, Michele and Dave...this was a very difficult topic especially since it was so close to me..but I wanted to push myself to do something so personal and deep actually the paintings are not finished, I will keep working to achieve the darkness during and the light which comes after...

      Delete
    12. Very Interesting and moving blog. Lots to read, listen to and take in. What a journey. Thank you for sharing your efforts to date. Can't imagine the pains involved. Very few things in life seem ever to get solved, at least in my opinion. Thank yo for sharing your stories. A lot of hard work--great job.

      Delete
  8. http://thespiralprojectasauniversal.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like how you explore spirals in nature, design and your paintings - Its shows the creative trilogy! Natural occurance, design process, spiritual processing! LOL!

      Delete
    2. Dave, Since I have seen the progress of this project from the idea and then the beginnings of the creation,the end and the paintings I am lucky to have an"insiders"viewpoint.I admire that your original idea took off and it all worked out as planned.Professional and academic blog.

      Delete
    3. David,
      I enjoy your physical process of the spiral study by starting with the pecans, then observing the natural destruction, followed by paintings inspired by them. Your acrylic paintings on masonite look thick with texture. Did you add a medium to the acrylic to make it have texture similar to oils?

      Delete
    4. Thanks Paige.I use a heavy body white to get the impasto .It is ,in essence,swirling the color into the white and then they bond together.It's a neat process which is quite spontaneous, as it involves drawing with paint.

      Delete
    5. Love your piece "Concentric Convolutions#1" Great use of colors and almost hypnotizing with the spiral form!

      Delete
    6. Dave, I commented on your blog, but I wanted to say again that I like the way you used the colors of the day for the final photos.
      I also like the process involved in creating your pieces. I'm going to try this in the near future.

      Delete
    7. Sarah and Lorena Thanks!I really try to run with my intuition and this is what prompts me at present.

      Delete
    8. David, I love your on the Spiral and your paintings to coincide with that. Live the impression like strokes, thickness and colors of your paints. Absolutely gorgeous.

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sarah, susan.harmon@cisco.edu..I was not invited either

    ReplyDelete
  11. http://noemihernandez20.blogspot.com/2015/12/final-project.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Use of collage with what looks likes recycled materials is a nice approach to making the pieces come to life. Love the simplicity of shapes with the textures. Writing is a bit hard to read, perhaps write it on the white paper or another color. Love the use of foil and dress material!

      Delete
    2. Noemi, Very sweet nice intimate pieces. Yes the simplicity makes them seem precious.

      Delete
    3. Noemi,
      I was also drawn to the Cíudad Juárez and Malawi journal style. I love your Harley and drum collage. The idea of a motorcycle sound being combined with drum sound definitely gives the impression of a great party.

      Delete
    4. Noemi,
      I too was drawn to the simplicity especially of the still life objects.They remind me of Matisse or Romare Bearden's collage work.Nice!

      Delete
    5. Noemi, I always look forward to your illustrations and I love the mixture of paper you used to create your images. I also loved loved LOVED those books. I like the deeply personal emotion expressed and like you did, the journalistic way to tell a story along with an image.

      Delete
    6. I find that books that impact me are books that sometimes hit closer to home. The Cíudad Juárez does just that. Nice response using your strengths. Great project.

      Delete
  12. Neomi I love you journaling and your surface design. Did you cut out material? or colored paper? I really like your personal thoughts put with each one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I cut out the material. Their handmade papers I bought with different designs.

      Delete
  13. http://michelleart5363project.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really cool idea to weave the plastic- I imagine that would be pretty difficult. It would be cool to have these used as nets or baskets perhaps to hold plants in. The gold and design would be nice with that and yard could be similar with strings to tie to ceiling. Lots of ideas to weave with this!

      Delete
    2. Michelle,
      What a great idea. Both scarves are beautiful. When the Director of Keep Midland Beautiful came to talk to my students, she mentioned some volunteer groups were weaving mats for homeless people out of plastic bags. That way they could have a layer between the ground and their body. Now that you have solved the problem of how to weave plastic, the possibilities are endless.

      Delete
    3. Michelle! These are fantastic! Honestly when I saw the finished product on the plastic scarf it looks like something that models wear on the runway. I love this idea.

      Delete
    4. Michelle. Great project. Wow. I liked how you ran in to problems and had to create something else. Lots of possibilities with plastics. Very nice job.

      Delete
  14. The thought that you put into this. I love the plastic bag idea! And how you showed your class and they got involved with their yarn. Good way to tie this all together for a final!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Michelle, Very interesting.I have a friend in Australia who does something similar ,she created wearable recycled art pieces and does performances and reads her poetry wearing the outfits she has created out of soda pop tabs and plastic also.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Michelle,
    Very innovative uses from wearable to pragmatic.The long center work looks strangely like schools of fish which interweave within one another-very unique!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Week 9:
    I have thought about how to introduce others. Especially when I post a blog of a photo session, I try to figure the words to describe the family or person I shot for and really try to dig deep (I really do) to describe them but in all honestly, I have only met them once and probably never will again and it was only for at the most, 2 hours. But that’s what I knew at that time, at that moment and that is what is portrayed in the photos.


    To Paige: I completely agree that journaling is so deeply personal, no matter how happy it might be or sad…I love artists that can pull that emotion out of someone and releases a sort of energy that only one can describe as therapeutic.


    I’m a huge fan of biological comic illustrations. I think they tend to be the most interesting sort of books since when I think of biography I think yes, documentary, a non fiction large book with maybe some photos and captions.
    These just made me think of one of my favorite books, if anyone gets the time, I recommend, Maus, the writers father talks about his father and mother surviving the Holocaust and it severely disturbing his mother to the point she commited suicide later in life. What’s interesting about this book is that the Jewish people were portrayed as mice and the Nazis as pigs. Amazing transitions in the style drawings as well from mice as jews to realism for present tense in different parts of the book.



    This is quite sad and shocking for me to see as a “everyday” thing. I can’t imagine living life in such countries of turmoil and I hate that I’ve learned even. As disturbing it is for the photos, its real and I admire that in a artist or just a average person to bravely show what’s going on.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Week 15:

    As Amanda sets out the design of her project in the form of a book, what resonates with you? This is a highly personal book in direct relation to the artist's life and experiences. Amanda is investigating several aspects of her life: femininity/femininities, friendship and her faith, fellowship/s, food, and family. Anything sticking or feeling sticky?

    I am really drawn to the faith that Amanda keeps and I think this is what caught my eye from the beginning. Maybe its because I really haven’t seen it that much in art lately. I don’t, I mean I know, I try not to mention my faith in my art or even when talking to another person I don’t really know. I think its just a personal thing kept to one self so it’s a breathe of fresh air seeing how visible it is in her life.

    I also really liked the break down of the book. Very simple and it honestly kind of reminded me of a recipe book? Others have commented about her work of art and writing getting stronger towards the end of the book, I agree and when I think about it, its because of the breakdown perhaps? A great recipe in becoming a strong artist. Maybe I think too much into that but that’s how I can explain that.

    Katherine: even though I believe in God and his Will, upon thinking about your comment about “God won’t give me anything I cannot handle”, that makes me stop and rethink. This is what art and artists are supposed to do, rights?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Week 14:
    Silent Body, Speaking Body by Anonymous. 
This essay moved me--especially the connection between student and teacher. Anonymous captures our "ethical" dilemmas or walls as teachers. "I want to tell her how much I know about cutting" (p. 200). What could teaching and art be like if we told the truth? 


Art as Prayer by Kate Bornstein
. Kate is one of my heroes. And in this essay she reveals the difficulties of living her dream--changing her sex--and the nightmares that haunt her. 


Live Through That by Eileen Myles
 Brushing. 
What do I live through?

    Thinking about I’ve never experienced communicating through art from teacher to student and perhaps this should be more of a thing. I see art as a form of therapy and when thinking about it, many artists do communicate through their artwork, freely but many times art, like in hs and even college, its assigned and not really allowing us to express ourselves. I think this goes to the being “truthful” and showing ourselves through art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Going back, someone was mentioning the use of class journals and I have always liked the idea. This would be a good way to express any thoughts to release anything bothering them onto paper since keeping it bottled up is unhealthy. it can be by form of writing or visually.

      Delete
    2. First question: Week 14:
      I always thought that being an artist was about your art growing up with you, rather than the other way around. This is why I really get irritated when people say a band or group’s music is different, its changed and I have to remind them, well because they have changed, not necessarily their music.
      Its okay to speak through your art, its continually evolving and changing and developing, and that’s what makes it strong work.

      Delete